Monday, January 10, 2011

Yarn Bombing Coming to The Blanton

Things about me... I graduated from UT Austin, I love art, and I love to knit. This past weekend I attended an informational meeting on how to combine all of those aspects of me.

Three days ago I found out from my friends at Yarn Harvest about a call for knitters to participate in an installation at the Blanton Museum of Art headed by textile artist Magda Sayeg. For two weeks in the month of March, about 100 trees on the UT campus will be YARN BOMBED! I can't wait! It's going to look sooooooo cool! About 170 knitters showed up for the meeting and like I mentioned, they only have 100 trees, so I was pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to sponsor a tree... especially since I drove all the way from San Antonio to find out more info. Luckily, I ended up being assigned tree #23. Here's a look at me and my tree:


The assignment of the bombing is to incorporate 4 specific yarn colors in horizontal stripes and cover the entire trunk of the tree from ground to branches. My tree measured at about 7ft high and 20in in circumference. The pattern and style of stripes is totally up to us. Many of the other knitters that showed up to the event either paired up or decided to tackle this in groups. I think I was the only non-Austinite that showed up, so this means that I'll be tackling this project on my own! Here's a shot of about half of the trees to be knit.

The project is due mid-February so I've got lots of work ahead of me... I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment