Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Adventures of Pepe the Chihuahua

The weather in San Antonio has been absolutely awesome the past few days. Clear, dry and a high in the mid 70's. When the weather gets like this I just leave the door to the shop open since it's so comfortable. As 5 o'clock rolled around yesterday afternoon, I started to pack my things up and head home for the evening, while in walks a tiny little guy with no reservations what so ever! This little chihuahua just took a little lap around and sat next to me behind the counter.

Being the dog lover that I am, I gave him a little cup of water (which he drank quickly) and picked him up to check his tags. Luckily there was a 1-800 number listed indicating that he was micorchipped. As I attempted to call, my cell phone dies on me. So I walk over to Tres Rebeccas a few doors down and use their phone to call this doggie's owner. The number lead me to a third party which then tried to contact the owner, but with no luck. At that time I did find out the doggie's name, Pepe. I then decided that Pepe would just hang with me for the evening until his owners called.

As I came home, I was a little worried about the interaction between Pepe and my dog, Tiger who is a pit bull mutt. Tiger loves to play with other dogs, but he tends to invade other dog's space to where they get a bit pissy with him, however to my surprise, Pepe and Tiger got along really well. They took their time and sniffed each other a while before I let them both go outside and do their business.

By this time, 7pm had rolled around and still no call from the owners. I was getting a bit worried, and then at that minute, my aunt and uncle called me asking if I wanted to go to the Spurs game that evening at 7:30. They had tickets in one of the cooperate boxes, but didn't feel like going. Matt is a HUGE Spurs fan so I didn't want to pass up the opportunity, however in the back of my mind I was worried about Pepe. I decided that I'd go ahead and go to the game, so with Pepe in hand, he and I head over to my aunt and uncle's house to pick up the tickets, and I rush back home to get ready for the game.

By that time Matt had just gotten home, and has a look on his face of "Oh, Brandy..." as I walk in the door with a little chihuahua in my arms. He's always having to be the voice of reason every time I see a stray dog anywhere. Every time I see one, my response is, "Awww, he'd be friends with Tiger," and Matt quickly responds with a "NO!" I reassured Matt that the owners have been contacted and we won't be looking out for him for very long. Now the question was, what to do with little Pepe while we're away at the game?

Luckily, our hallway is isolated with doors all around, so we put little Pepe in there with a pee pad, a chew toy and a little bowl of water. Tiger still had free range of the rest of the house. Matt and I rushed out of the house as soon as we could, and we were able to make it to the ATT Center by the end of the 1st quarter. Just as I arrive there I get a call from Pepe's owner, Patricia. I tell her that I'm at the Spurs game (which they won) and as soon as I get home I would give her a call. I assure her though that he is quite comfy in his own little room indoors.

By the time Matt and I get home, it's already 11pm, so I quickly get hold of Pepe and call Patricia to meet me at B.Link. I give her directions to the shop, which is about a half mile from her and Pepe's home. The little guy and I arrive and a few moments later, Patricia shows up, and Pepe is SO excited to see her. Patricia then goes on to tell me that Pepe is a sneaky little guy that likes to sneak out and have little adventures. She told me how one time he ended up at one of the downtown hotels, which is several miles away from where they live, but since Pepe has a chip in him, he's always been returned home safely, as he was once again. So in then end, Pepe was in the care of the Garcia's for about 7 hours! Silly little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment