Friday, April 22, 2011

Whatever happened to Angela Chase?

I started to think about her as I was listening to my 90's mix while working on some new pieces at the shop. Especially when Buffalo Tom's, "Late at night" came on. This was the song that was playing when Jordan first held Angela's hand in public. Ahhhhhhhh.


As I hear that song, flashbacks of scenes from My So Called Life come to mind, and I begin to think of myself at that age during that time. When the show came out, Angela was just a few years older than me. I remember how my world used to revolve around music and a boy. I remembered thinking about how limited I felt in personal self expression, and how my only creative outlets for my personality could only be projected onto my clothes and hair.


I remember straddling the fashion line between "alternative" and preppy. I remember how I had to have everything "baby"... baby tees, babydoll dresses, cropped sweaters. Unfortunately, most of the things I longed for, I couldn't afford. During our adolescent years, my sister and I would swoon over the pricey items in Alloy and Contempo Casual catalogs. Cardigans and hoodies were essential. I once had this vintage Christian Dior grey cardigan, which my mom hated, that mysteriously vanished. To this day I think my mom had something to do with it.

All this was also around the same time when movies like Clueless and Reality Bites came out. I envied the style of these characters and, with my limited budget, tried to make their style into my own by spending hours on end with my sister, looking for the perfect vintage item, at thrift stores.


So all of these memories of past style came from a single song. I then started to think, if the show had gone on, what would have happened to Angela? If she grew up, what would she be like today? While it was just a show, to introverted shy girls growing up in the 90's, it was a bit more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment